What are cookies and why do we use them on the Smart ProBox websites?
On the Wikipedia page ( http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_(informatics) ) it is possible to obtain more information about what with cookies and how they work.
What type of cookies do the Smart ProBox websites use?
Cookies, depending on their permanence, can be divided into session or permanent cookies. The first ones expire when the user closes the browser. The second ones expire depending on when the purpose for which they serve is fulfilled (for example, so that the user remains identified on the Smart ProBox websites and services) or when they are manually deleted.
Additionally, depending on their objective, Cookies can be classified as follows:
Performance Cookies: this type of cookie remembers your preferences for the tools found in the services, so you do not have to reconfigure the service each time you visit. As an example, this typology includes:
- Volume settings for video or sound players.
- The video transmission speeds that are compatible with your browser.
Geolocation Cookies: these cookies are used to find out which country you are in when a website or service is requested. This cookie is completely anonymous and is only used to help guide the content to your location.
Registration Cookies: Registration Cookies are generated once the User has registered or subsequently opened their session, and they are used to identify them on the web and services with the following objectives:
- Keep the user identified so that, if he closes a service or website, the browser or the computer and at another time or another day re-enters said service or website, he will continue to be identified, thus facilitating his navigation without having to re-identify himself. This functionality can be suppressed if the user presses the "Exit" functionality so that this Cookie is eliminated and the next time the user enters the web, the user will have to log in to be identified.
- Check if the user is authorized to access certain services, for example, to participate in a contest.
- Additionally, some services may use third-party connectors such as Facebook, Twitter or Google. When the user registers in a service with credentials of a social network or third-party identification system, he authorizes the same to save a persistent cookie that remembers his identity and guarantees him access to the web until it expires. The user can delete this cookie and revoke access to the web through social networks or third-party identification system by updating their preferences in the specific social network.
Analytical Cookies: every time a User visits a Website or Service, a tool from an external provider (Google Analytics) generates an analytical cookie on the user's device. This cookie, which is only generated during the visit, will serve in future visits to the SmartProBox services to identify the visitor anonymously. The main objectives pursued are:
- Allow anonymous identification of browsing users through the "Cookie" (identifies browsers and devices, not people) and therefore the approximate count of the number of visitors and their trend over time.
- Anonymously identify the most visited content and therefore the most attractive to users
- Know if the user who is accessing is new or repeats visit.
Important: Unless the User decides to register on a SmartProBox website, the cookie will never be associated with any personal data that can identify them. These cookies will only be used for statistical purposes that help optimize the user experience on the site.
Advertising cookies: these types of cookies allow you to expand the information of the advertisements displayed to each anonymous user on the Smart ProBox websites. Among others, the duration or frequency of viewing advertising positions, the interaction with them, or the browsing patterns and/or behaviours of the user are stored as they help to form a profile of advertising interest. In this way, they allow offering to advertise related to the interests of the user.
Advertising service tools ( Adservers - http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adserver ”) from third parties are used to manage Smart ProBox advertising. These third parties can store cookies sent from the Smart ProBox websites from users' browsers, as well as access the data stored therein.
The companies that generate these cookies have their own privacy policies.
How to disable cookies in the browser
Most browsers currently allow the user to configure whether they want to accept cookies and which of them. These settings are usually found in the 'options' or 'Preferences' of your browser menu.
These are the instructions to configure cookies in the main browsers:
- Chrome: Settings -> Show advanced options -> Privacy -> Content settings. For more information, you can consult Google support or browser Help.
- Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Custom Settings. For more information, you can consult Mozilla support or browser Help.
- Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Settings. For more information, you can consult Microsoft support or browser Help.
- Safari: Preferences -> Security. For more information, you can consult Apple support or browser Help.